1. Fly direct to Amsterdam via Ryanair.
2. Stay at the Meininger hotel. Just one stop on the train from the city centre offering the perfect location at a great price. The rooms are super clean and spacious with a nice big bathroom. Ideal for groups. The hotel offers a bar, breakfast service in the morning and a communal kitchen if you wanted to cook your own food which was super handy (queue the microwave popcorn packing).
3. Purchase a 3 day travel card (I think they also have 1 & 2 days). For just 26 euro you can access all trains, trams and buses in and out of the city centre including trains to and from the airport.
4. Visit the Anne Frank House. It's a must see when visiting Amsterdam! Make sure to book online in advance as the slots fill up quite quickly. The tour takes roughly an hour and you can take it at your own pace.
5. See the city by boat! This was definitely a highlight for me and my girlfriends. We booked online with Those Dam Boat Guys which is a privately owned boat by 2 very cool guys from Vancouver. The boat fits a max of 10 people so the tour is very intimate. They can take you where ever you desire as the boat is small enough to fit down the canals that the bigger boat guides can't. You can also bring your own food and drink on board and they supply the blankets which is super cosy! Myself and the girls brought on some big bags of crisps, chocolate, jellies and sparkling ros√©. Absolutely amazing! We booked a time slot late in the evening so that we saw the beautiful city by night. Check out the website here. A must do when in the Dam.
6. Experience the most delicious pastries and cakes at Renes croissants. It won't disappoint. Best doughnuts ever!
7. Have brunch at the Corner Bakery. The most Instagram worthy breakfast you will ever eat! With a gorgeous menu of sweet and savoury, there's something for everyone. I would definitely recommend the pancakes and chocolate milkshake.
8. The breakfast club is another gorgeous brekkie spot. I had the London City fry up to break up all the sweet treats I was having. What's Sunday brunch without a mimosa?
9. If you're in the mood for a scrumptious Chinese dinner then head to 'Oriental City' restaurant. The staff were super friendly and the food was divine!
10. Wander the beautiful streets and canals and get lost on purpose. One of my favourite ways to soak up the city.
11. Enjoy a drink at the W hotel rooftop bar. Gorgeous cocktails and amazing views.
12. Take a stroll through the 'blomenmarkt' flower market. The flowers hang from the ceiling of the stalls and it's oh so pretty!
13. If you're feeling homesick or just up for a bit of craic then head to O'Reilly's Irish bar. The cocktail menu is also gorgeous and great value for a bar in the city centre.
Have a ball and safe travels!